frivolous friday

Some more old school posts from when I was pregnant with J. Bug!



The “How We Found Out” Story

…I realize that I’ve not told most people the details about how Shawn and I found out we were pregnant. I thought now would be the perfect time to share it !Let’s see – we found out back in February. Shawn and I had been trying for several months, which was a difficult experience, but one in which God taught me about patience and giving up control. I found myself clinging to Proverbs 3:3-5, “Trust in the Lord will all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge the Lord in all of your ways, and He will make your path straight.”

For the first time in several months, I had actually been thinking that I would rather NOT get pregnant that particular month. My rationale was that I was in my sister’s wedding in May and I had a 10K that I wanted to run in April. If we weren’t pregnant that month, I could still run the 10K and wouldn’t have to worry about fitting into the dress for my sister’s wedding. So for that month, I gave up counting days and checking ovulation signs, and the whole thing kind of slipped my mind.

Several days after we conceived (though we didn’t know, obviously) Shawn and I were in our office, watching television. I smelled the aroma of coffee pretty strongly, and thought to myself, “Mmmm…that smells good. Wait a minute. Why is someone making coffee at 10:00 at night?” The scent soon changed, and I realized that the smell I thought was coffee was actually the smell of our dog pooping in the house!

About a week later, we had a small group Bible Study at our house. We were having dinner, and we were also brewing some coffee to have after dessert. I was standing in a group of people, listening to the conversation, when I smelled our dog’s poo. We had put him back in our bedroom for the night, so as to not annoy our guests. I freaked out (in my head, of course), trying to figure out what I needed to do. Wouldn’t it be rude for me to go back, clean up his mess, and come out with a bag of dog poo? But I certainly couldn’t wait until everyone left. After all, if I could smell it, than so could everyone else! I silently took a poll of the facial expressions of our guests. Nobody seemed to be sniffing the air like I was. Nobody seemed to be disgusted by the smell.

In the time that it took my mind to process all of that and go back and check on Coletrane (who was innocently sitting there, accident-free), I realized that I had mistaken the smell of the coffee we were brewing as poop. I thought that was strange, told Shawn about it, and we both laughed it off. It wasn’t until several days later that I remembered those incidences and wondered if it might mean something about my hormones.On Wednesday, February 27th, I took a home pregnancy test (I was not yet “late,” but the smelling symptom just began to weigh heavily on me). I watched the test closely and there was no pink line. My heart sank, but to be honest, I was getting used to getting that exact answer from pregnancy tests. I walked away for a few minutes, and came back to throw the test out. When I came back, I saw that there was an EVER so faint pink line. So faint I thought I just made it up, and threw it out. An hour later, I fished it back out of the trash can.

My mind was going crazy. I had taken this exact same brand of test many, many times before, and had never “thought” that I saw a line. So I held it up to natural light, held it up to fluorescent light, held it up to dim light, held it up to bright light…I tilted it and squinted…and still the line remained faint. So I waited a couple of hours and tested again. This time, I was fairly positive that there was a faint line after three minutes. After ten or fifteen minutes, there was definitely a light pink line. I was in shock, and honestly, afraid to get my hopes up. I kept walking in and out of the bathroom to check and see if the line disappeared.

I’ve always wanted to be able to surprise Shawn with the news of our first pregnancy. I knew that I didn’t just want to blurt it out to him, and I knew I’d have to work extra hard at keeping this potential secret (because to be honest, I still didn’t quite believe it). The next day was his birthday, which was just perfect!I went to church that night, anxiously holding this possibility of a very huge secret inside of me, just bursting to tell someone. I managed to keep it in, and just continued working on the many other surprises I had planned for Shawn’s birthday.

Shawn noticed that I was a little more giddy than usual, but I just attributed it to being so excited about his birthday the next day. I went to bed that night, and woke up at 5:00am with a bursting bladder (and, to be honest, a racing mind!). I took another pregnancy test, and it was again, faintly positive. I think it hit me then…you can’t have three false positive tests in a row like that, and there’s no other reason your body would produce a hormone to make that pink line. I was pregnant.I crawled back in bed and whispered to Shawn, “I think I’m pregnant,” and kissed him on the cheek. He stirred, but didn’t hear me. I was way too excited to go back to sleep, so I spent the next hour and a half online, killing time. I was already researching things I could/couldn’t eat or do.

I was still too excited to sleep, so at 7:00 or 7:30, I got up to make Shawn birthday breakfast. Throughout Shawn’s whole day, I had several surprises and gifts to give him. Luckily, we both had to work, and I had a busy birthday afternoon and evening planned for him…so I didn’t really have time to let the big surprise slip. I did, however, have time to take a few more pregnancy tests, and the lines were only getting darker.

I surprised him with dinner with some close friends, then we went to a movie he’d wanted to see, then we headed home. I sped all the way home, zipping in and out of traffic…I was so anxious to share this with him! Awhile ago, I’d had a friend of our take professional pictures of me. I framed them and had been giving them to Shawn – little by little – throughout his whole birthday. I gave him several of those, and then there was one present left (It was a framed picture of me holding a sign that read, “we’re pregnant!”). I told Shawn it was my favorite, and as he was opening it, he was laughing about it, and saying, “ooh, it’s a picture frame, i wonder what could be inside of it?” He opened it about halfway, turned it over, read what was in the picture, and his face dropped. He looked at me, wide-eyed, and said, “are you serious?” I couldn’t speak because I was already crying, so I just nodded. He asked how I knew, and through tears, I responded, “I’ve taken like five pregnancy tests, and they’re all positive!”We hugged and cried and laughed and prayed and had ice cream cake to celebrate. And that, my friends, is the story of how we found out we were pregnant. 🙂


Tap Tap Tap and a Shopping Spree…

Yes, I’m starting to feel the baby move! It’s only the slighest of taps, but is getting more and more frequent. I’ve tried, in every way I can imagine, to describe to Shawn how it feels. The best I’ve been able to come up with is that it feels I’m being punched from the inside by a little itsy bitsy fist. It’s amazing, and I love it. 🙂 I’m looking forward to the day when Shawn will be able to feel the baby as well. For now, I try to tell him when I’m feeling it. Just a few days ago, I only felt the little taps two, maybe three times a day. In the time it took me to type the above two paragraphs, I think I felt three. So looks like it’s dancing away in there!

Within the span of about a week, the weather here in North Carolina got crazy hot. We’re officially in full-on summer mode, and I officially had no summer clothes that fit. So yesterday, Shawn and I went on a mission to find me some maternity summer clothes! I tried to buy big, especially in the pants, and we came away with clothes that I hope will make being pregnant in the summer a bit more comfortable. We still haven’t received the results of my blood test, and I’m still not too concerned about it. 🙂 My job has officially slowed down for the summer, so I’m genuinely enjoying the chance to not only get more rest, but to get caught up on things that I’ve had to put off previously. Thanks for loving us and caring so much about our developing little family!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s