frivolous friday



One Thing At A Time…

is my new motto. I’m working hard at breaking down the things that I need to get done in smaller bits and tackling them little by little throughout my day – or over the course of several days, if need be. The past couple of days I’ve been working on getting my hospital bag ready. I made a list of things I’ll need and we went to Wal-Mart on Sunday to get them.

Yesterday, I organized and packed everything, including a list of “Last Minute” things that can’t be packed yet – cell phone charger, camera, etc. It’s SUCH a huge relief to have that done and taken care of!This past weekend I was also able to wash the car seat cover, the Boppy covers, and our bedding set. Shawn and our good friend Mike put together our crib this weekend, too!

It still looks like bedrest has helped to slow down the contractions significantly, which is awesome! I still find that if I do a lot in one day that they pick up again, so it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to taper off of the bedrest anytime soon. Our next appointment is Thursday morning (7:50am), when we’re actually just meeting with a nurse. I assume they’ll check my cervix and am hoping that everything is still as it should be. My goal right now is always to just through the week in front of me without having had this kiddo, so I really look forward to Sundays when I “move up” a week.

I’m really looking forward to being at 32 weeks, just because the test they gave us in the hospital indicated that we had a 50% chance of going into labor before I was 32 weeks. I’m stubborn and just want to prove that stupid test wrong. 🙂

Shawn and I will begin our five weeks of “Birth and Beginnings” Childbirth classes at the hospital on Monday, so it would also be nice to not go into labor until we finish those up! I try not to get too far ahead of myself, though, because that leads to me getting overwhelmed and freaking out. So…one thing at a time…

still no baby!…

That’s right, I’m quickly approaching Week 32 and Little Baby is still safely tucked away and growing…Yay!

While we’ve not had an ultrasound to confirm it, I have however, become aware that I am harboring a ninja in my uterus. This alleged ninja seems to rest throughout the day and practice his super secret ninja skills in the evening and at night. It would appear that he practices bicycle kicks especially diligently when I lay down to sleep for the night. We’re unsure of what this will mean for his birth, we’re just hoping he comes out in one of those black outfits with just his eyes showing – maybe with numchucks in his hand.

Regardless of whether he’s a ninja or not, we’re just grateful to feel him moving and so active!Our appointment this morning was a good one. My cervix isn’t showing any signs of labor, and the baby’s heartbeat is nice and strong. Blood pressure was good, fundal height was good, and all the tests were good.

As a complete aside, I have to admit that I never – in a million years – thought that I would be blogging about my cervix. Just wanted to throw it out there that it’s a little weird to be updating you all on the condition of my cervix every week. Don’t worry, this won’t remain a habit. 🙂

I hadn’t had any contractions on Tuesday and most of Wednesday. I worked at the office on Wednesday and went to church Wednesday night, and by the time we came home, I was starting to have them every forty-five minutes or so. They were kind of strong, so I was a little scared, but I only felt a couple during the night and one before our appointment this morning. I’ve been resting since I got home and they’ve significantly slowed. Our nurse said that they might have to consider putting me on complete bed rest.

If she meant to threaten me to rest more — it worked!

It’s frustrating, but I’d much rather slow down a bit more than be on complete bed rest. I asked if, because of all the contractions I was having, I would be more likely to deliver before my due date, to which she basically answered, “not necessarily.” She said some women have early contractions and end up going two weeks past their due date, and some women have early contractions and end up going into pre-term labor…there doesn’t seem to be much of a rhyme or reason that science knows at this point. It was comforting to hear that at this point, I’m probably just as likely to go over my due date as I am to deliver pre-term.

She also mentioned that the doctors will often take their patient off of bed rest around 35 or 36 weeks if the cervix is still closed. The nurse also reassured us that even if he were born today, he would be just fine. I knew that, but it’s always nice to hear! They still want us to come in weekly at this point,though.

Beyond all of that stuff, I’m still feeling pretty good. I’m huge, or at least I feel that way! I actually don’t think that I feel huge because of the size of my belly, I think I feel huge because of how much work it is for me to get up, to get out of bed, or to move with any kind of relative speed. I was reading out loud yesterday (the book of Isaiah, they were kind of boring chapters, so I was reading out loud to keep myself focused) and I’m not kidding…I had to stop and take a few breaths about halfway through every chapter. I got winded reading out loud!! None of those things are particularly annoying or frustrating, though…just typical pregnancy stuff that is SO worth it! I have to say thank you to you all for your prayers and support. You have no idea how much it means to us and helps us feel as though we’re not alone in this. We appreciate it so much more than you know!


happy friday…

Although I don’t really have much to update, I know that many of you check this blog often to make sure we haven’t had the baby yet – so I wanted to make sure you knew that I am still pregnant! I wish I had some exciting (non baby-might-come-early related!) news to share, but I’ll be honest…my life is pretty boring at this point. I’ve been watching a lot of political coverage, and it always freaks me out when they say, “only fifty-blah blah days left until Election Day!” because Baby is due just five days after Election Day, and that means it’s only fifty-blah blah days until he’s here.

Shawn’s joked around (or at least I think he’s joking) about naming our son after whoever wins the election. So…Barack or John…or even more fun…Obama or McCain. Ha Ha – so your vote might impact more than you realize! 🙂

Because Shawn knows that the best way to keep me still is to put a good novel in my hands, we went to the library a week ago to find just that. I decided that bed rest was probably a great time to tackle some classics I’ve been wanting to read, so I just finished “The Sound and the Fury,” and “The Old Man and the Sea.” Beyond keeping up with work and baby stuff, that’s about the extent of my days right now!


i have a fat roll around my ankles…

It’s true.

Within the span of about four or five days, my body decided that it wanted to swell, and boy has it! For a few weeks now, I’ve been wearing my wedding rings on a necklace, but that was less because of actual swelling, and more because I was petrified of having to get my rings cut off. I would swell a little bit more if I were out in the heat for awhile, but beyond that, I had thankfully avoided this symptom!

Until now. All of a sudden, my fingers got huge. Almost sausage-like (lovely, huh?). My feet look like a baby doll’s, and yes…I have a fat roll around each of my ankles when the swelling is at its worst.

Unfortunately, the doctor doesn’t seem to think this is run of the mill, normal swelling. Two nights ago, I was up most of the night with a migraine. I got up at 5:00 am to take two Tylenol, which took the edge off enough that I got about two hours of sleep and went to work the next morning. Around 10:00am, my head was killing me again, so I again took two Tylenol. This time it didn’t work, and I was hurting.

I’m not prone to migraines, I think I’ve had maybe two my entire life, so maybe I’m kind of a wimp…but it hurts! Since the Tylenol wasn’t working, I called my OB to see if I could take Extra Strength Tylenol, or anything stronger. The nurse asked me a lot of questions about the headache, and then said, “have you had an increase of swelling in the past few days?”

I looked down at my sausage link fingers and answered that yes, I had in fact, had an increase in swelling lately. She asked if I’d been nauseated at all. I had, but assumed it was just the headache making me feel ill. Then she informed me that they would like to see me as soon as possible because those symptoms combined could indicate preeclampsia.I scheduled an appointment for 3:00 that afternoon and went home to hopefully get rid of the still pounding headache.

It was Shawn’s day off, so he took great care of me – letting me watch Gilmore Girls, making me soup and grilled cheese, and even letting me press my forehead into his arm when it was really hurting. At the OB, they took my blood pressure (which was higher than it’d been, but not dangerously high), my weight (I’d gained 8 lbs in four days, and I think it’s safe to say it’s all because of the swelling) checked my urine for protein (negative), checked out my swelling (concerning), and gave me a prescription for the headache. Basically the visit was inconclusive, so they have asked me to provide a 24-hour urine specimen. This might gross you out, so skip the rest of this paragraph if you’re squeamish.

They hand me this big orange, plastic container that is just about half the size and similar in shape to a gasoline can, and tell me to fill it up with urine, put it in a biohazard bag, and bring it back Wednesday morning. I have to admit that I audibly laughed when the nurse pulled it out. Guess where the gasoline can/urine holder gets stored in the meantime? That’s right.

In our refrigerator. Weird. And Ew. Apparently they’ll be checking it for protein in the morning, and then we’ll have a regular appointment in the afternoon to find out what’s going on.

While we were there, the nurse listened to the heartbeat and measured the fundal height. I asked her if she could tell where the baby was, and she pointed out where his head was (towards my cervix), and where his back and butt were. It turns out that the thing that is always up in my right rib is his hiney! I LOVE knowing where he is, what body part he’s moving, and patting his tush…and knowing that it’s his tush. So amazing!

Shawn and I also started our first Childbirth Class last night, which we’ll have for the next five Mondays from 7:00-9:00. The class was fun, actually. We went through some breathing exercises, which Shawn of course, made fun of. The lady DID talk about breathing in purple and breathing out green, so I guess it wasn’t too difficult. He found some other like-minded weirded out Dads, though. We watched one of those horrifying birth videos. It was pretty disturbing, but I’m glad that I saw it – I think it will help to know that some pretty scary things are actually normal in childbirth.

We were both pretty tired after our appointment and class, and my ankle fat roll was getting bigger, so we headed home where I propped my feet up and we wound down for the night. We’re actually interviewing a potential doula this afternoon, so I’m looking forward to that appointment! Today, I’m taking it easy, I’m drinking lots of water, and I’m peein’ in a gas can. This whole pregnancy thing has proven to be quite the adventure, huh? 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s